“The staff here were wonderful about getting me in and settled and making me comfortable. No other services in this area would be able to provide the support care that you do.”
-Consumer of Assisted Living Services
The Independent Living Centre of Waterloo Region offers 43 Assisted Living units, grouped in 4 apartment complexes:
- Mooregate Crescent Apartments (Kitchener, Ontario)
- Shamrock Housing Cooperative (Waterloo, Ontario)
- Kiwanis Village (Cambridge, Ontario)
- Linden Drive Apartments (Cambridge, Ontario)
In Assisted Living environments, consumers of attendant services live independently in their own apartments while having access to an attendant on a 24-hour basis.
While the attendant services offered at each location are fully funded through the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care, consumers are responsible for all other expenses including rent, utilities, food and transportation.
Anyone is eligible to apply for the program, as long as they answer “yes” to all of the following questions:
- Are you a person with a permanent physical disability?
- Are you 16 years of age or older?
- Do you have a valid Ontario Health Card?
- Do you require personal support services and homemaking on a continuing basis in order to remain in the community?
- Are you able to direct your own personal support and homemaking services?
- Do you require services on a 24-hour basis for one of the following reasons?
- You require monitoring or service during the night?
- You require urgent response?
- Your personal support and essential homemaking requirements warrant on-site services, such as frequent calls of short duration?
If you are interested in applying for an apartment in an Assisted Living environment, contact our office at 519-571-6788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be assessed for our Assisted Living program. Our Reception, Information and Referral person will arrange a phone assessment with one of our Assisted Living Supervisors.
Alternatively, the Waterloo Wellington Community Care Access Centre (WWCCAC) also accepts applications for Assisted Living programs across the region, including ILCWR’s Assisted Living program. If you are a current client of WWCCAC, or wish to apply for Assisted Living programs in the region including ours, you can contact WWCCAC directly and request an assessment. You can contact WWCCAC at 519-748-2222.
There is a wait list for the ILCWR Assisted Living program. Vacancies are filled according to available service hours and individuals with the highest needs.